October 19, 2021
Board Members Present: Darren Finneral, Chair; Chris Hernick, Vice-Chair, Joanne Lord, Chris Millette, Denise Mitchell, Members; Scott Wheeler, Selectboard ex-officio.
Housing Committee Members: Tom Krebs, Alicia Zanderigo, Richard Wright, Matt Mynczywor.
Public: Mark Manzella
Mr. Finneral called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m.
The Board members signed the Site Plan Review for Lando Strong Living Trust/Foss.
None were reviewed.
Tom Krebs gave a background as to why they are proposing some changes to the town ordinances. The following changes are recommended by the Housing Committee:
- Definitions –
- 2.24 cluster development – Removing references to “residential”.
- 2.36 Duplex – Addition of this definition - multi-family home that has two separate residential units of similar size in one building.
- 4.10.2 – changing allowable number of ADU’s from 1 to 2 per lot.
- 4.10.9 – increasing maximum square feet for ADUs from 1000 to 1200 square feet; also changing # of bedrooms from no more than 2 to no more than 3. Also removing language re: ADUs in detached accessory building (i.e. garage).
- 5.7.2 – accessory apartments – changing allowable number of ADUs from 1 to 2 per lot.
- 5.7.9 - increasing maximum sf for ADUs from 1000 to 1200 SF; also changing # of bedrooms from no more than 2 to no more than 3. Also removing language re: ADUs in detached accessory building (i.e. garage).
- 12.1 – adding “and non-residential uses where permitted”.
- 12.2 – Increase density bonus from 10% to 15% for affordable units?
- 12.3.2 – permitted uses – Added “Nonresidential uses may be included to create a mixed-use development in Districts where they are permitted”.
- 12.3.10 – Perimeter Setbacks – Consider reducing or eliminating this requirement.
- Site plan regulations - Article III – When Site Plan Review is Required
- 3.2.2 – Changing any multi- family dwelling unit with 2 or more units subject to major site plan review – change this to 5 or more.
- 3.3.3 – changing “multi-family” to “5 units or more”.
- Subdivision Regulations- Zoning Ordinance Definitions –
- 2.1 – inserts the definition of duplex – “multi-family home that has two separate residential units of similar sizes in one building”.
- 2.17 – Multi-Family Dwelling – “Residential building designed for or occupied by two or more families with the number of families in residence not exceeding the number of dwelling units provided” – This change makes definition consistent with zoning definition.
Mr. Finneral opened discussion up to the Board.
Ms. Lord wants more clarification on lot sizes before moving forward.
There was discussion regarding ADU’s and how much square footage is allowed to be used for an ADU. There was also discussion going from 1 – 2 ADU’s.
Mr. Finneral suggested reviewing this all in a work session. The next step would be to bring the proposed changes a public hearing.
Mr. Wright said it is very important for abutters to be informed if a 3-family housing unit is going in and brought to public input. There was also discussion on site plans.
Discussion ensued regarding short term rentals and AirBnB’s.
Mr. Finneral will look into dates that will work for some work sessions and get back to the Board.
Ms. Lord made a motion to adjourn. Ms. Mitchell seconded the motion. All in favor.
The meeting adjourned at 8:17 p.m.
Donna S. Long